Supported all the way by Lions Clubs of British Isles and Ireland
Day 58 - Wednesday 13 August: The decision to halt the sail is publicly announced. Hilary and the crew have now returned to Dover. Although hugely disappointed and frustrated that Hilary has been unable to achieve her dream this year, much credit must go to her and the team for what they have achieved under very difficult circumstances.
Day 53 - Friday 8 August: After much consideration, Hilary and the team have reluctantly decided that they will not be able to complete the challenge this year and have called a halt at Newlyn. We are all greatly disappointed and frustrated that, despite everbody's best efforts, Hilary has not been able to complete the sail this year but she remains committed and determined to try again next year.
Day 48 - Sunday 3 August: Hilary arrived in Newlyn just after midnight this morning but faces a further delay due to more boat repairs being required.
Day 47 - Saturday 2 August: Hilary left Mevagissey as planned at 09.30 this morning, bound for Newlyn.
Day 46 - Friday 1 August: Hopefully, all things being well, Hilary will now sail from Mevagissey to Newlyn tomorrow (Saturday) at around 9.00am.
Day 44 - Wednesday 30 July: Unfortunately, unfavourable weather conditions have further delayed Hilary's progress - there is no immediate prospect of her being able to leave Mevagissey.
Day 43 - Tuesday 29 July: Due to adverse weather forecasts, Hilary will now have to wait until Thursday morning at the earliest before attempting to sail from Mevagissey to Newlyn.
Day 42 - Monday 28 July: Hilary finally set sail from Salcombe at 04.30 this morning and hopes to arrive in Mevagissey at around noon. Update: Hilary arrived safely in Mevagissey at around 13.40.
Day 41 - Sunday 27 July: After much despondency, a successful test sail today has suggested that the problems with the keel fixings have been overcome sufficiently for Hilary to sail the next leg. She plans to leave Salcombe for Mevagissey tomorrow (Monday).
Day 39 - Friday 25 July: The keel issue is still unresolved and continues to hamper progress.
Day 38 - Wednesday 23 July: Unfortunately, the test sail was unsuccessful and there is still a problem with the keel on Hilary's boat. Further investigation/work will be required before Hilary is able to sail again.
Day 37 - Tuesday 22 July: Having consulted the builders of Hilary's boat, we now have a potential resolution for the keel issue which will be implemented today. The plan is then to undertake a test sail tomorrow and, assuming everything is in order, to leave Salcombe for Mevagissey on Thursday.
Day 36 - Monday 21 July: Repairs to the keel are proving more problematic than anticipated and, with adverse weather forecasts for the middle of the week, Hilary may have to stay in Salcombe for a few days more.
Day 35 - Sunday 20 July: Unable to complete repairs/adjustments to keel today so sailing delayed for a further day (until Tuesday).
Day 34 - Saturday 19 July: Hilary's next sail has been deferred for another day as the winds are against her. She now plans to leave Salcombe on Monday.
Day 33 - Friday 18 July: Hilary arrived safely in Salcombe at 06.35 this morning. Weather forecasts suggest that Hilary will not be able to sail again until Sunday at the earliest.
Day 32 - Thursday 17 July: Hilary plans to leave Brixham tonight at around 23.00 and hopes to arrive in Salcombe at around 07.00 on Friday morning. Update: Hilary left on time as planned
Day 31 - Wednesday 16 July: Hilary left Portland at around 07.00 this morning and arrived in Brixham at 19.00. All being well, she will sail again tomorrow (probably evening) from Brixham to Salcombe.
Day 30 - Tuesday 15 July: The RIB needed some welding repairs which will hopefully be finished by lunchtime today. The plan would then be to leave Portland at around 19.30 this evening. Update: RIB repairs not complete in time so revised plan is now to set off at 07.00 tomorrow morning (Wednesday).
Day 29 - Monday 14 July: Hilary and the team will now, after all, stay a further night in Portland with a view to setting off again on Tuesday.
Day 28 - Sunday 13 July: Underway again at last! Hilary left Lymington at 06.15 this morning bound for Portland where she hopes to arrive in the late afternoon/early evening. Hilary arrived safely in Portland at around 19.20 this evening. The plan is now for a one night stay in Portland (instead of two) and to set sail again for Brixham/Dartmouth in the early evening tomorrow (Monday).
Day 26 - Friday 11 July: Fingers crossed, Hilary is hoping to sail again on Sunday (Lymington to Portland)
Day 22 - Monday 7 July: The poor weather conditions look likely to keep Hilary in Lymington for the foreseeable future, possibly until the end of the week. We really have had no luck with the weather so far!
Day 19 - Friday 4 July: Yet more frustration! Severe weather conditions are forecast and would be likely to affect Hilary during the planned sail to Portland. Given the anticipated duration of the journey, it is not considered safe for her to set sail today. Forecasts for the weekend remain poor so it is now likely that Hilary will be further delayed until the beginning of next week.
Day 18 - Thursday 3 July: Team remains in Lymington ahead of the planned sail to Portland tomorrow.
Day 17 - Wednesday 2 July: The issues with the boat's electronics now appear to have been resolved and Sean's back off to the hospital today to check his injury. Wind conditions tomorrow (Thursday) do not look favourable so Hilary now plans to leave Lymington for Portland on Friday morning at 10am.
Day 16 - Tuesday 1 July: Still awaiting rectification of electronics on Hilary's boat and for Sean's injury to heal. Possible that Hilary may not be able to sail again until later in the week.
Day 15 - Monday 30 June: Team remains in Lymington
Day 14 - Sunday 29 June: Hilary was today able to sail the section from Bramble Bank (near Cowes) back to Lymington although her onboard electronics have still not recovered from the drenching they received last Tuesday. Efforts are being made to restore the navigational systems so, whilst also waiting for Sean's injury to heal, the team's stay in Lymington is extended further.
Day 13 - Saturday 28 June: Martin Cox joins the team as a temporary RIB driver so that Hilary can sail the Cowes-Lymington stretch. Martin will undergo project-specific training today so that, weather permitting, Hilary can sail again tomorrow.
Day 12 - Friday 27 June: The bad luck continues - now Sean has cut his hand and will be out of action for a few days. Without him, the RIB crew is short-handed and, therefore, cannot sail. Hilary has arranged for temporary RIB back-up to join the crew for the weekend. He will need to undergo project-specific training tomorrow (Saturday) with a view to Hilary attempting the Cowes-Lymington sail on Sunday (weather permitting). Depending on the progress of Sean's wound, the Lymington-Portland sail will not be possible until Monday or Tuesday next week at the earliest.
Day 11 - Thursday 26 June: Another frustrating weather delay. The winds are too strong to complete the Cowes-Lymington sail today. Hilary will try again tomorrow.
Day 10 - Wednesday 25 June: The team remain in Lymington whilst the repairs to Hilary's boat are completed. They would like to take the opportunity to thank everybody at the Berthon Boat Company at Lymington Marina for their fantastic help and support; the Lions for their assistance and hospitality (and patience!) in spite of the last minute changes of plan; and Simon Rogers, of Rogers Yacht Design (designers of the Artemis 20), for his help in repairing Me Too. Weather update suggests that wind conditions may again prevent tomorrow's planned sail. The crew will re-assess tomorrow.
Day 9 - Tuesday 24 June: Bad news today - Hilary's boat sustained some damage on the leg between Hayling Island and Lymington and she arrived at 1am this morning. Having lifted Me Too from the water, it was fortunately discovered that the damage was not as serious as first thought and that repairs could be carried out within the day. As yesterday's journey involved Hilary being towed from Cowes to Lymington, due to tidal state and no wind, she had planned to set out tomorrow to be towed back to Cowes so she can complete the sail back to Lymington; however, the boat repairs have not been finished in time so the short sail from Cowes to Lymington is now planned for Thursday and the Lymington-Portland leg for Friday (weather permitting).
Day 8 - Monday 23 June: Weather is set fair today and Hilary set sail at 1pm and will be hoping to arrive in Lymington at around 10pm.
Day 7 - Sunday 22 June: An unexpected increase in wind strength has disrupted plans for a lunchtime sail today. Unfortunately, the winds have not abated sufficiently to allow Hilary to sail overnight so departure from Hayling Island has now been deferred to noon tomorrow (Monday).
Day 6 - Saturday 21 June: Away as planned from Brighton and arrived safely at Hayling Island at 7am this morning, ahead of schedule (the land vehicles having arrived at around 4am). 36 hour stopover planned, leaving for Lymington around lunchtime tomorrow.
Day 5 - Friday 20 June: With the weather outlook good, the team were confident of leaving on schedule today and making up time over the weekend to reach Portland by Monday as originally planned. All was set but, just as everything seemed back on track, as Hilary was being towed out of the harbour, the GNAV fixing to the main boom broke away. Upon investigation, the aluminium fixing was corroded so the crew had to return to berth and arrange remedial repairs. Current plan is to sail overnight (leaving Brighton at around 1am) with an ETA in Chichester (Hayling Island) of around 11am tomorrow (Saturday). The team still hope to arrive in Portland on Monday.
Day 4 - Thursday 19 June: The weather is against the team today so they have delayed their departure from Brighton for a further day. They now plan to leave for Chichester harbour at around midday tomorrow (Friday) where they should arrive at Sparkes Marina (Hayling Island) by around 10pm. We'll keep you posted.
Day 3 - Wednesday 18 June: Rest day in Brighton
Hilary would like to thank everybody for their messages of support and good luck. Whilst it is difficult for her to spend too much time checking this site, we are trying to pass on as many individual messages as possible. We would also like to thank everbody who has so far made a donation - this is greatly appreciated. Sorry we're not able to acknowledge each one individually.
Day 2 - Tuesday 17 June: Hilary left Eastbourne at around 12.30pm and set sail for Brighton - she arrived at Brighton Marina, a little later than planned (and wet and cold) at 7.10pm. Although Brighton was originally planned to be a one night stopover, they will now stay an extra day to give Hilary and the crew some well-earned rest. The local Lions Club arranged a small reception for Hilary and the team. Hilary's challenge has generated enormous press and media attention, so we hope this will result in a flood of donations to the charity.
Day 1 - Monday 16 June: Having set sail from Dover in bright sunshine at around 3pm, Hilary arrived safely in Eastbourne Marina at 11.55pm - tired but happy to have successfully completed the first leg of her journey. The team would like to pass on their thanks to all at Eastbourne Marina and the local Lions for their help and assistance.
We will soon be creating a facility to enable all visitors to this website to track the progress of Hilary's journey. Using a "Harrier" Iridium Satellite tracking device supplied by Olive Group, via a facility called SecureLocate, we will provide regular updates of Hilary's precise location.
In the meantime, click here to view Hilary's itinerary. This is obviously subject to change based on weather conditions and other circumstances but we will keep this regularly updated.
Page last updated on 6 May 2009 at 23:54